To a certain group of people (basic white girls), September means one thing and one thing only… pumpkin spice lattes. Lol jk, I meant to say fashion. September is widely known as fashion month thanks to the back to back to back to back fashion weeks in New York, London, Milan and Paris. If your name starts with Gigi and ends with Hadid, this means September is the month in which you get flown from country to country to be ogled at and walk in the most well known designers shows. For the lowly intern on a brand that has partnerships with designers in the beauty sector, it’s pretty much the same experience as Gigi’s except literally nothing close to anything she does, ever. The only similarity would be both breathing in New York City.
My team was very aware of my fantastical view of New York fashion week, and in the least cynical way foreshadowed the complete disdain for the week that would most surely develop deep within my soul. “Me? No, this is where I belong,” I thought to myself after seeing the first untouched cheese platter backstage at my first show. Safe to say I was proved wrong and my lovely bosses were right, as always.
Amidst blacking out with exhaustion the entire week via work shit my mom couldn’t even pretend to care about, here’s what I learned working NYFW :
- Backstage at a fashion show is not nearly as cool as one would assume. It’s crowded, awkward and warm – three areas of life I generally avoid at all costs.
- The people watching. The people watching is UNREAL. Especially in the age of internet fame, where YouTube vloggers sit front row showing up like a Kardahsian minus the attention or paparazzi
- Fashion shows are really fucking cool but will start 45 mins late at the least and it’s all over in about ten minutes
- If you have any sort of anger toward people being on their phone too much (like myself) you WILL want to shank most people surrounding you. No one watched the show with their eyeballs but rather on their screens. It’s sad considering how beautiful the shows are and it just doesn’t resignate the same way in an insta video
- Kylie Jenner looks like a walking selfie in real life, models legitimately snack on ice cubes and there are a lot more important things happening on this Earth than any of these points I’ve made. #true
Fashion week was always something that I looked forward to. Fashion is my first love and scrolling through photos of all my girl crushes in one show while stuffing my face with the Flaming Hot Cheetos was always a highlight. Fashion week is the picture of glamour, of fame. Front row? Yes fucking please. I would have killed to be involved… and then I was. There were some moments I’ll never forget and I felt seriously lucky for the experience but.. let’s just say I’ll take my bed and Instagram stalking the people involved with NYFW over actually being there any day of the week.FOLLOW THE OPEN FIELD